Colossians 4:6
Let your conversations be always full grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
I've been thinking a long time about conversations I participate in. There is a common theme EVERY time people get together (the big G word).....no not GOD.....the G word I'm talking about is....GOSSIP. It comes in many forms. Unfortunately, it seems to creep up on even the most innocent of bystanders. It may start out as Christianly concern for someone and turn into the biggest weed of all. (I highly recommend watching Veggie Tales- Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed). This happens a lot with the church, the very Body of Christ. Well, I have been heavily convicted this past year about my involvement in the big "G" word. So much so just to say the word disgusts me. It is so much a problem that it seems people cannot get together without participating in it! What is there to talk about when you have eliminated GOSSIP from the conversation? I am ashamed to admit it, there isn't much left! I have tried it, you should try it too. There is this awkward silence. You definetely will not be the life of the party! Sad but true. I ask God why would anyone want to give this part of their life up if they are to experience this sort of rejection? Well, his answer was simply "Would you do it for me?" Well, I have been smacked by God! But wait... it doesn't end there. God doesn't just want us to do it for his benefit. When God asks something of us there are promises!
Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
When we resist the temptation to gossip I do believe God will bless us for that decision. I want to be known in Gods eyes that I was not a gossiper. Would you join me in taking a stand against gossiping even if it means not being the life of the party? Let's see together how God can enrich our lives when we find something inspiring to talk about. If we find there is nothing left to talk about maybe we might even start quoting scripture...if you really want to stir up some trouble...I dare you!!!
James 3:1-12
Ecclesiastes 5:2-3, 10:12-14
So, if you feel convicted by these words you have been smacked by God. You have the responsibility to receive it, obey it, and by all means pass it on!!!
Andrea, as my only member please don't feel I directed this at you. This blog has been my project for a while and the gossip topic has been on my mind and my heart. Thank-you for encouraging me to update it. I didn't even know if anyone could access my blog, now I do. I hope you remain a follower:)
ReplyDelete